Dorothy Kingston Family Resource Center
Phone (270) 887-7292
The Kentucky Family Resource and Youth Services Centers (KY FRYSC)
were established as a component of the historic Kentucky Education
Reform Act (KERA) of 1990. The mission of these school-based centers is
to help academically at-risk students succeed in school by helping to
minimize or eliminate noncognitive barriers to learning.
Schools who where at least 20 percent of the student population is eligible for free or reduced school meals may compete for FRYSC funding. Approximately, 55 percent of students enrolled in Kentucky’s public schools are eligible for free school meals.
FRYSCs are strengthened by community partnerships in their ability to provide vital programs, services and referrals to students and their families. These partnerships are critical in efforts on behalf of students to promote:
- early learning and successful transition to school;
- academic achievement and well-being; and
- graduation and transition into adult life.
center offers a unique blend of programs and services to serve the
special needs of their student and family client populations. The goal
of the FRYSCs is to meet the needs of all children and their families
served by the centers as a means to enhance student academic success.
On April 15, 2008, Gov. Steve Beshear signed Senate Bill 192 into law, allowing changes to the FRYSC core components as listed below.
Family Resource Centers serve children under school age and in elementary school and coordinate:
- preschool child care;
- after-school child day care;
- families in training;
- family literacy services; and,
- health services and referrals.
Youth Services Centers serve students in middle and high school and coordinate:
- referrals to health and social services;
- career exploration and development;
- summer and part-time job development (high school only);
- substance abuse education and counseling; and
- family crisis and mental health counseling.
http://chfs.ky.gov/dfrcvs/frysc/about.us.htm - revised 2-2011
Pembroke Volunteer Needs:
Tutors for K-3 in reading
Parents for PTO - Kelly Turner, President
Volunteers assist with sign-in sheets for programs
Volunteers to assist FRC/YSC in preparing backpack bags
Volunteers to assist FRC in a variety of FRC activities